Test automation has evolved considerably over the years, and the demand for more accessible and efficient solutions has never been greater.
That's where low-code or no-code automated testing comes in, offering an innovative approach to enable anyone, without special technical skills, to perform quality automated tests.
A quick reminder of the concept of testing in IT. Testing is the systematic evaluation of an application, system or component to check that it fulfills defined functions and criteria. It aims to identify defects or shortcomings by comparing the results obtained with those expected. Automated testing, on the other hand, is a variant of this process in which the testing is carried out by software. Instead of having a human tester manually click on different parts of the application and observe the results, an automated test script quickly executes these actions and compares the results with expected values, enabling a faster and more accurate evaluation. Often, this test automation is created by a developer or automator.
This is why more and more companies are turning to "no-code" or "low-code" automation solutions. In this article, we'll explore the advantages of low-code / no-code in the context of automated acceptance testing and production monitoring, and give you some initial advice on how to implement them.
Low-code: easy access to the power of automation
Low-code refers to a software development method that enables the creation of automated applications and processes using an intuitive visual interface, rather than manual coding. This approach opens the door to many advantages, particularly when it comes to automated testing.
- Greater accessibility: One of the main advantages of low-code automated testing is that it makes the creation of automated tests accessible to a much wider audience. Testers don't need programming expertise, which means that non-technical teams can become actively involved in the testing process.
- Rapid development: thanks to user-friendly visual interfaces, testers can create automated test cases in record time. According to a recent survey, companies that opted for low-code solutions saw an impressive 75% reduction in development time.
- Less technical dependency: Traditionally, the creation of automated tests was mainly in the hands of developers and automation experts. With low vode, testers can become autonomous, reducing dependence on technical resources.
- Rapid adaptation: no-code/low-code automated testing platforms enable rapid adaptation to changes, whether they involve updating the user interface, adding new functionality or modifying APIs.
- Scenario flexibility : With low-code solutions, you can create highly customized test scenarios that can easily be adjusted to take account of your company's specific needs.
- Versatility of functionality: Many no-code automated testing tools offer comprehensive feature suites, from front-end functional testing to load testing, API monitoring and SEO testing. This enables a holistic approach to testing.
No-code automated testing: The Holy Grail of automation
Automated testing no-code goes a step further by virtually eliminating the need for coding. This means that people with no technical experience can carry out automated tests seamlessly. Here's how it benefits your business:
- Training cost savings: Engineering training for testers is no longer necessary, reducing the cost of specialized technical skills. On average, our customers see a reduction in training costs of between 30% and 60%. At Mr Suricate90% of users master the tool within 3 weeks.
- Speed of execution: automated no-code tests can be created and executed faster than ever before, with development cycles accelerated by an average of 30%. This enables earlier detection of problems, reducing delivery delays.
- Greater test coverage: Low-code tools make test management simpler and more intuitive, speeding up decision-making and making it easier to add new scenarios. This efficiency translates into an estimated 20-30% better test coverage.
- Reduced human errors: By automating the test process without coding, potential human errors are minimized, guaranteeing more reliable results.
Advantages of automated no-code testing in the cloud
While code-free testing is traditionally carried out with on-premises technologies, where users download existing code-free testing solutions as software development kits (SDKs), cloud-based code-free testing platforms enable users and companies to meet a number of robust requirements in terms of scalability, speed, collaboration, quality and security. This frees up time to concentrate on product innovation.
- Infinite scalability: Cloud services benefit from unlimited scalability with thousands of desktop virtual machines on demand. There are no set-up costs required, enabling strict project deadlines and test coverage to be met.
- Increased execution speed: Cloud-based solutions benefit from powerful machines, robust infrastructure and a network that can dramatically improve the execution time and performance of automated testing. Cloud-based solutions also offer easy access to platforms in various geographies via globally distributed data centers.
- Collaborative platform: The advantage of using a cloud-based platform is that it facilitates collaboration. You can share test scenarios, scripts and results with team members wherever they are, improving efficiency and effectiveness.
- Quality throughout the SDLC: Continuous testing in the cloud is not just about creating tests, but also about the whole process of reducing software risks by running relevant tests and providing developers with rapid feedback on any code changes.
- Enhanced security: Cloud solutions offer a much higher level of test data security than on-premises installations.
- Adjustable KPIs: Modern solutions, especially those in the cloud, allow you to adjust KPIs according to the context of your project. You can track specific metrics that are most relevant to your objectives.
- Advanced production performance monitoring: Automated testing solutions in the cloud also offer advanced production performance monitoring tools, including availability, load time and Web Core Vitals. These tools enable you to monitor your application's performance in real time.
- Accelerated time-to-market: Thanks to real-time bug detection, automated no-code/low-code testing can significantly accelerate your product's time-to-market. This is crucial in today's competitive environment.
Challenges and Limitations
While recognizing the undeniable advantages of low-code / no-code, it is essential to take into account some inherent challenges, such as limitations in terms of customization for specific scenarios and dependence on a particular platform. As such, it's important to include a reversibility policy to ensure complete independence, and to assess the publisher's ability to meet specific requirements. In addition, it is important to examine the publisher's commitment to maintaining a technologically advanced and continuously improving product.
The advantages of the no-code solution Mr Suricate
Low-code for automated testing with Google Blockly
Mr Suricate provides an innovative test automation solution, using Google Blockly for construction. This combination enables anyone, regardless of technical skill level, to create professional automated tests for a variety of use cases, such as functional, API, performance, accessibility and SEO testing. Added to this, the platform facilitates the creation of scenarios thanks to a navigation option that records actions directly in Blockly, further simplifying the process of setting up tests.
Integration with other tools
Mr Suricate integrates seamlessly into existing CI/CD pipelines, enabling test automation throughout the development cycle. Advanced alerting capabilities ensure rapid notification of problems to the appropriate teams. What's more, the platform integrates seamlessly with project and test management tools such as XRay, Squash and Jira, making the process even smoother and more collaborative.
Customer Success Management
The adoption of an automated testing platform is greatly facilitated by the support of a dedicated Customer Success Manager. From scenario design to creation and maintenance, this professional guides you every step of the way.
Putting it into practice
Feedback with Mr Suricate
To underline the advantages of low-code / no-code in the field of automated testing, let's take the example of a customer of Mr Suricate customer such as B&B Hotels or Edenred. By using our no-code platform, this company halved the time needed to develop automated tests, and increased the complexity of the scenarios tested.
This gain in time and efficiency creates a positive knock-on effect:
- Greater stability
- Faster deployment of tests facilitates faster time-to-market for products
As a result, resources can be redirected to higher value-added activities, increasing profitability and reducing operating costs.
How to choose the right no-code testing solution for you
Choosing the best no-code testing solution for your business is an important decision. It is advisable to choose a platform that is future-oriented with an artificial intelligence (AI) component. It's also advisable to pay particular attention to the analytics and reporting features of the no-code test solution, as the future relies on clear data and dashboards.
How to get started with automated testing without code
When considering a codeless automated testing platform, it's important to bear in mind that it will never completely replace all manual testing.
To get started with no-code automated testing, first identify manual tests or tests that are difficult to implement. Automating these time-consuming tests will bring the greatest benefit to your test team.
Then follow these simple steps:
- Identify the test processes you want to automate.
- Choose a no-code platform or tool adapted to your needs, such as Mr Suricate.
- Create your test cases using the intuitive visual interface.
- Run your tests and analyze the results.
Low-code has radically transformed the field of automated testing, paving the way for automation that is accessible to all, thanks to no-code automated testing. Mr Suricate is committed to providing cutting-edge solutions to help companies increase productivity, reduce costs and improve product quality. If you're looking to get started with no-code automated testing, look no further.
Mr Suricate - The most comprehensive no-code automated testing tool on the market
Join us and discover how our solution can help you carry out automated tests efficiently, without any prior technical expertise.
Automate intelligently, automate easily, automate with Mr Suricate.